Immanuel's History

 

In early 1888 a group of hard working men, mostly farmers, gathered together to plan for a new church and parochial school in the vicinity of Ferguson, MO. They were concerned for their children to have a religious education, which was lacking in the area. After several meetings it was decided to build a church and school and name it “Evangelical Immanuel Congregation”. The old frame church that was built that year housed our first organ.

 

The ground at the corner of Lewis and Church Streets was purchased from Mr. Ferguson for $350. A frame building was erected and dedicated on June 3, 1888. All of the church services were conducted in the German language until early 1941. In 1889 a school house consisted of grades 1-6. The school was in operation until 1918 when it was then discontinued.

 

Immanuel has the distinction of having two very historical symbols in Ferguson. First, is the church bell which was delivered to the church in a “hay wagon”. The bell was rescued by one of our members from the Steamboat “St. Louis,” which had been destroyed by fire. The second symbol is our weather vane rooster, which stood atop the early frame church as a common symbol of Protestant Congregations.

 

In 1895 the first frame parsonage was built. The parsonage and church yard had a white picket fence. The entrance to the church yard was from Church Street, and had hitching posts for the members to tie up their horses.

 

In February 1929 the parsonage was destroyed by fire. A new parsonage was built and dedicated on October 13, 1929. On the same day a cornerstone was laid for the new church, which was erected during the Fall & Winter. It was dedicated on March 16, 1930.

 

The groundbreaking for our Educational Building was held in 1954 and dedicated on October 16, 1955. Once the Educational Building became debt free in May 1958, plans were underway to add a Fellowship Hall. The Fellowship Hall was dedicated on August 30, 1959. This building is now known as the Paul Press Memorial Building, named for a former Pastor of Immanuel United Church of Christ.

 

Immanuel continues to update the current structures. Some of these improvements include: elevator in the church, air conditioning in the Education Building and Fellowship Hall. The renovation that is currently in progress is updating the kitchen off of the Reception Room in the lower level of the church.

 

Immanuel United Church of Christ is a former Evangelical and Reformed church in the United Church of Christ denomination. Our current membership is approximately 1,000 people, but we minister to approximately 1,300 people.

 

Immanuel is a warm, friendly and family oriented congregation. We invite you to visit our church community and feel the past history, and experience the excitement of what our future will bring.

© 2017 Immanuel UCC Ferguson
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community